Junior Associate/Articling Student
Reports to: Manager/Team Lead
The Junior Associate is responsible to assist with general bookkeeping and financial reporting. As well, this position will assist with personal and corporate tax services. This will be done under the supervision of a Senior Associate or Manager, for review by partners, in accordance with CPA and firm standards.
Major Tasks and Duties:
- Roll forward accounting files from prior year
- Set up financial statements and enter opening balances
- Prepare client accounting records
- Assist in preparation of government remittances – including GST, PST, PD7A and WCB
- Prepare year end financial statements and related working papers for reviews and compilations
- Prepare Corporate and Personal income tax returns, trust, not for profit and other information returns and schedules
- Provide bookkeeping services for clients
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience:
- Completion or near completion of an undergraduate degree in a related program of studies, or an equivalent recognized accounting program at a community college or university. Enrollment or plan of enrollment in the CPA PEP program preferred.
- Basic experience in full cycle accounting.
Knowledge and skills
- Good working knowledge of computers and their operations.
- Basic knowledge of working paper software programs such as CaseWare.
- Working knowledge of accounting programs such as Sage 50 Accounting and QuickBooks.
- Working knowledge of other software programs such as Microsoft Excel and Word.
The person in this position has:
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, including time management, goal setting and planning.
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members, clients, and others.